Wednesday, August 19, 2009

......opinions please!


My son... the happy looking one on the right, is going to be a high school senior this year. I plan on knitting a blanket for him to take to college (one year from now) ~ smart of me to know my tendency to procrastinate, and start it NOW! In addition I am hellbent on knitting an abundance of sweaters/tops for myself this year... school year that is. I go by the school calendar which starts Sept. 1st as both my kids live by it and I work in it (the school that is).
I LOVE handknits! So... by hook or by crook I intend to build my wearable wardrobe while diminishing the size of my overabundant stash.
I gave my son some options... choose 2 or 3 of his favorite colors (I can start planning/knitting right away with just one trip to my LYS) OR choose the colors of the college he decides to attend (I'll have to wait it out). Either way I'm looking for pattern input. I will dig out my copy of Kay & Anne's http://masondixonknitting.com/ for ideas. But, I'd sure love some suggestions!

4 comments:

Carol said...

What a gorgeous family! This is a time in life that makes me think "where did all that time go?", a time to reflect, yet to also move on. Start now! Let him choose what he likes to live with! You can always make another in school colors. Like you'd deprive your children of a handknit blanket! Congrats mom, on the new journey♥

Lorraine said...

Michelle- You are a beautiful family. I immediately thought of Lizard Ridge- the one with all the different Noro colours, you can work on a square at a time.

Kym said...

Michelle -- My son will also be a high school senior this year -- and I've been thinking ahead just like you! If I start now, MAYBE I'll complete an afghan for his dorm room next fall. . . I knit Lizard Ridge for my daughter, and like Lorraine said -- one square at a time worked well. I'm eager to see what you come up with, because I'm thinking about this too. . .

Lorette said...

Have you seen Brooklyn Tweed's baby blanket? You could just do it bigger/with heavier yarn. Though all that garter stitch might make you crazy in a bigger size.