Saturday, November 17, 2007

Almost enough to make me quit!







Let me tell you this disaster has happened to me one too many times. It's almost enough to make me quit knitting. I'm spittin' nickels I'll tell you. This disasterous mess went right in the trash! again! and I'm sure you can see that I was up to the heel. Now once again I am left with one skein of yarn that will be useless. Any before you ask .... yes I wound it on a ballwinder but guess what.... somewhere in the center was a jumbled wad that just got bigger and bigger. The ball winder is just a load of crap. I will not be winding any balls any time soon.




New sock in progress.... no ball winding necessary!




Purdy, huh?! Believe me no ball winding will occur here either.












You know Dancer, and Prancer, and Comet and Vixen ....
Special thanks to those fantabulous girls who cast a knitting spell on me... http://www.theraineysisters.com/





A tisket a tasket, look whats in the basket.






Dancer? Prancer? Comet? Hey what about me?

6 comments:

lv2knit said...

Ugh!! Can I ever relate! When I get emails from Sally with the subject line "I hate knitting" a story like yours ensues! And I have sent a few myself! BUT, do not quit knitting and do not forsake your ball winder. ;) First, do you own a swift? If not, ask for one for Christmas. The ball winder is only half the equation. Two, when I wind my skeins, I gently hold the yarn (at a point between the winder and the swift) to put a little tension on it and help it along if there is a tangled area in the skein. Third, when winding silky yarns, sometimes I have had to rewind a ball several times because they do not like to be wound! With silky yarns, I use the ball from the outside instead of pull it as a pull skein, and always keep it in a small ziplock bag. As pull skeins empty from the center, they can collapse on themselves and become a mess, esp with slippery yarns. I don't know if this is helpful, but ...

Nora said...

Oh, no!! I just wind by hand... ;)
And Spike, I'd take you any day over those silly reindeer.

Brigitte said...

I pop my skeins on the back of a chair and the ball winder is usually OK, but there are some skeins out there... I have one brand that's on my hit list - I'll never buy it again because the one time I did, every one of the 7 skeins were a tangled mess.

Lorraine said...

Susan is good, Susan is wise- you need to have the swift. Since you've been nice and not naughty, I'm sure Santa will have one in his sack for you.

Where's Spike's antlers?

Rebekah said...

No, no don't quit. Just pick non-slick yarn and wind slower. Also, I find it helps if I have more tension on the yarn when I wind. Although you may be doing that.

Or just always buy yarn that doesn't have to be wound.

Carrie K said...

Spike is too adorable.

I wind by hand too. Too lazy/unsure of a good ballwinder to pick one up.

I do love to untangle yarn so if you get into that mess again, heave it into a big envelope and send it out my way - I'll even send it back. Handwound though.