Monday, September 03, 2007

High Expectations

It seems I need to adjust my perception and expectations. Persian Tiles is similar in comparison to climbing Mt. Everest. At first glance it seems that the summit is attainable and within reach, once the excursion begins the respect you had for this monumental undertaking quickly increases... and you realize that all good things come to those who wait ~and wait~ and wait :) .... all in good time.

There are 179 stitches in each round. There are 50 rounds in each pattern repeat. The pattern is repeated 9 times. Even if I do 10 rounds a day.... say a pattern repeat per week ~ it will take me 8 more weeks to complete it. I do believe the visions I had of myself wrapped in Persian Tiles while sitting in the stands watching my son's high school JV football games was a smidge inaccurate. It was actually a vision of me watching his Varsity football games next year!
Meantime Spike is having visions of his own.

11 comments:

Marina said...

Don't give up! All it takes is a little discipline and a whole lot of procrastinating where chores are concerned ;-)

Like I said to Brigitte, it's only a little bit more than the body of an average sweater which has ~320 stitches in each round.

Nora said...

I love the connections in this post - and Spike is so cute! [We've just had some bad news about Sheeba so give Spike a huge kiss and hug from me...]

lv2knit said...

It's easy for Marina to say -- she does a fair isle sweater in a month or less. most of us cannot get ten rnds done per da day in, day out, day after day! This is a hobby. Have fun with it. If it's a grind, it ain't fun and it ain'y a hobby ;)

Carol said...

Just be dedicated! It's beautiful! Climb that project and knit yourself a mountain just because....you can!

Brigitte said...

See, that's my plan when it comes to Persian Tiles. A little bit at a time. Because if I look at the big picture - it'll never get done!

Spike! You're too cute!

Lorraine said...

Michelle- I have to go look up Persian Tiles- unlike some people, I don't have them memorized.

Just keep that visual in your mind, you looking fab while your son scores the winning touchdown.

Rebekah said...

don't give up, just try not to think about the end and enjoy each stitch. Its absolutely beautiful, and remember there's no races in knitting. It doesn't really matter how long it takes. Even if its a deadline knit, if you miss your deadline, thek nitting doesn't explode.

lv2knit said...

Thanks for the comment!! The largest beaded bags I've ever made are like this one http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/lv2knit/Beadedbagfinished.jpg and use about 8000 beads.

gail said...

The persian tiles is fabulous, even if it is a long project. Where did you find the pattern? Oh, I love your doggy!

Carol said...

Are you doing a secret thing to see how long you will go without a post?

gail said...

Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog! I've bookmarked yours. See you soon.