Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The good, the bad, and the UGLY

Rank in at #1 of the Good... Persian Tiles. I am determined to discipline myself to the best of my ability. I have a strong desire to have this wonderful design wrapped around me while I sit on the bleachers this fall at my son's high school football games. Each repeat is 50 rounds of 179 stitches for a total of 10 rounds, then steeking (eek), then the border. The discipline? in order to accomplish my goal I will need to knit approx. 10 plus rounds per day. I am woman watch me knit!
I am thoroughly enjoying this project. I have one gripe...maybe someone can shed some light. Stranded knitting with 100% incrediby awesome wool leads to constant and continual tangling and entwining of the fibers and yarn. I hate the constant stopping to detangle. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. So that takes care of the good...perisan tiles and the bad...tangling of the yarn...








My big guy last year as a freshman...







Now brace yourself for the UGLY... Yes that is my right foot. The lovely lump is a spur that I've been contending with for a few centuries. The entire weight bearing joint...big toe included is coroded with arthritis. The joint is shot. Although it is not excruciatingly painful, it is a constant ache that I have lived with for quite some time and is progressively getting more and more uncomfortable...effecting my back and pinching a nerve in my right butt cheek (more info than you ever could have dreamed of wanting huh?). Well anyway the consensus of 3 opinions was it is way to far gone for cortisone and medication. I need surgery. The flip side was to wear orthopedic shoes/orthodics and nurse my foot. I'm sorry but at 44 yrs of age I am just not willing to give up activity (like walking to try and lose my fat right butt cheek) and nurse my foot. At 84 maybe, at 44 .l.. no way. So surgery it is... It involves metal plates and screws and is called a fusion. It involves 6 weeks of a wooden shoe... and no driving. So I am just pretending that all that is an option... I cannot make it through 1 day without driving, 6 weeks?! But... it is what is is... so August 13th I will be giving Lindsey Wagner a run for her money. Oh did I mention I can't even chalk it up to prime knitting time since my 2 fall classes begin promptly on 8/20.Just a shot of some of my lovely flowers to help you recover from the ugly.


8 comments:

Carol said...

Well the knitting question is definitely a job for the "Super Sisters"! Poor baby, but for all the things going on, your footsie is way prettier than mine. How on earth are you gonna do all this?

Nora said...

Can't help with the knitting question but the foot surgery is a MUST! It'll change your life. Go for it - good luck. x

Brigitte said...

Ugh! Bummer about the foot! But you need to do what's best for you.

OK. What I do - primary colour goes on top, the secondary is always on the bottom. So, when you pick up your primary colour, and your secondary is just hanging, you don't need to weave, just strand the yarn right over the secondary colour. When you pick up your secondary, it's already underneath, so you just pick it up, and knit with it. Because it's been lying at the bottom, it's all ready to "hook" underneath the primary,which lies on top. Drop your secondary, knit with your primary stranding on top again, drop that, and pick up your secondary, which still remains on the bottom. Don't know if that makes sense? If you go to www.sheeweknits.com, she has a great tutorial.

!

Lorraine said...

Or... you can place one ball on either side of you- and train your self to use both hands- which is easier than it appears.
Personally, I find it harder to maintain tension that way- but try whatever works- just strand it looser, and your hands will take over.
Bummer about the foot-

Sally said...

I hate foot surgery almost a year ago today. I feel your pain.

As for the tangling, I do what Lorraine does. Kinda.

I always have the dark color on my right and the light color on my left. I don't do two-handed fair isle because although I know it's faster, I've always felt as if it screws up my gauge. I am sure I'd get better at it, but . . . So. Anyway. The yarn doesn't get tangled b/c it never crosses with the other color. Let's call the dark A and the light B. Let's say the chart says I am supposed to knit 5A, 3B, 4A, 2B.

I pick up A, knit 5, drop it. Pick up B, knit 3, drop it. Etc. Because you are knitting in the round you don't need to twist or cross the colors. No tangling.

Now, if you have to knit a lot of A or B, say more than 8 or 9 stitches, you'll want to catch the other color somewhere in the middle so you don't have a super long float. That's the only time you would cross the yarn.

Did that help? What colors are you using for Persian Tiles? I can't tell. I so want to start it. I am just being indecisive about which colors to use.

sally said...

Ooops. I meant to say I HAD foot surgery a year ago. I think the word hate was a Freudian slip.

lv2knit said...

To keep yarn from tangling up on itself, I place one color to my left and one to my right. Do not twist the yarns as you knit: one should be above and one below, travelling parallel to each other and not crossing. I carry the "foreground" color below (in my Kauni Cardigan, the squares would equal the foreground). I do this because it makes those sts stand out more -- the sts created by the bottom yarn are slightly longer and will stand out more. Does this make any sense at all?

I LOVE YOU said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,聊天室,情色,a片,AV女優