Friday, January 26, 2007

Oh what a tangled web.........


It's sock yarn see...
and sock yarn doesn't count!

I now belong to 2 sock clubs. The STR sock club ( for which I am anxiously anticipating my 1st shipment) & the Knitter.com sock club. These beauties are from the Knitter.com.
2 simply beautiful balls of Lily Chin Chelsea in a very girlie heathered raspberry colorway. I love em'. I plan to start them as soon as I am done with these...



I've decided that socks are my best "on the run" knitting. I have a tendency to knit whenever I can, so I am often (like a million times a day) forced to throw everything in my purse (pit).
This can be very frustrating when counting stitches (like for Ariann's sleeve) or when knitting slips totally off the needles. I know, I know, that's what knitting bags are for. Believe me, I own quite a few, but I ALWAYS have my purse with me.... and it's me... creature of bad habits.


and here's the question of all questions...

How dire do the circumstances have to be, before breaking down and investing in a swift?
Here's my ballwinder



and here's my swift... sad but true. Pathetic huh? The beautiful STR sock yarn is a tangled mess that I have already cut twice. It has been sitting in that state for about 3 weeks (a small indication of how much ironing I do).

But with all the GOOD STUFF to purchase out there (2 knitting books, I just ordered from Amazon.com) etc. etc. a swift seems a tad indulgent, no?

6 comments:

Roseann said...

Haver you tried a lamp shade as a swift? You just loosen the top piece so the lamp shade can turn freely. I found it very helpful in my pre-swift days. Valentine's Day is just around the corner, a swift might be the perfect gift!

Andrea said...

I agree, swift money can be used for so many different things that it makes us more willing to work without it.

Carol said...

I'm laughing so hard!!!!Not because my internet has been gone ans is back, but because I have the same Lily Chin yarn same shade too. also have the same what are they called? TV Trays? same color hee hee-I iron as much as you do too.

BLACK DOG KNITS said...

Buy the swift my fiend, it'll save you a lot of heart-ache in the long run - TRUST ME! x

http://black-dog-knits.blogspot.com

Krista McCurdy said...

Oh, but once you've bought a swift, you'll wonder how you lived with out it. I finally bought a swift because my youngest cat would make my life hell trying to wind off the backs of chairs! or my knees. (he's still young, and anything that moves is fair game for a toy.)

lv2knit said...

Michelle, Note to self: Buy swift BEFORE ballwinder! Or try Roseann's method. But you do need a swift of some sort to make the ball winder worthwhile. Honest, I'm not lying.