Sunday, September 10, 2006

calling all knitters.....


I'm taking a poll. Or realistically since I only have about 3 people (and I am totally grateful to each and every one) who read my blog, I am looking for advice. I am getting ready to place a hefty sized order at http://knitpicks.com and would appreciate opinions. I need (actually want) a ball winder, swift & blocking pins/wires for blocking my first lace shawl (that I have RIPPED 5 times) and would love to know if there is a preference in blocking tools. Do wires have an advantage over pins or strings? Does one do a better job than another? As always I will be eternally grateful!

5 comments:

BLACK DOG KNITS said...

I use blocking pins (much easier than fiddling with wires/strings).

PS: Here's the link for a picture of my scarf
http://designsbyblackdog.blogspot.com/2006/08/noro-silk-garden-scarf-yarn-noro-silk.html

Roseann said...

I think the wires take a little getting used to, but I find my shawl edges are straighter when I use them. Maybe I get too impatient with the pins. I look forward to seeing some shawl pictures!

Andrea said...

I only use blocking pins albeit a LOT of pins when I block something so I have no real preference.
Nice blog too.

Carol said...

I don't have blocking experience yet, but I can tell you, I LOVE having the ball winder! I'm going without the swift for now ($), but it would be handy to have. It'll make you want to play with your stash ;)

Lorette said...

I use both. Pins for the scallopy edges, but wires are nice for a nice straight edge. I actually bought a whole tube of stainless steel welding rods at my local welding supply shop instead of a blocking wire kit. Much cheaper, and you get the added benefit of giving the guy at the welding store something to tell his wife over dinner.